Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Things you don't see.

Recently I've noticed that there's a lot about people we don't see. I mean, that's really obvious, but when it comes down to it, we are virtually surrounded by people that we know almost nothing about. Not just strangers.. which there are definitely more than enough of, but people that we talk to everyday. How much to we really know about our classmates? It makes me sad how little I know about the people who surround me. It becomes far too easy to make assumptions about people who we know little about, and we're all guilty of judging others more than we should, including myself. Anyway, I decided to make a little list of things about myself that people don't know. I'm just a regular girl, but I'm me, and these are some of the things that make me who I am. So here we go...
Facts About Me:
1) My name is Alyssa Joy Brown, and I am named after my grandmother. Other than Jesus Christ, she is basically the epitome of charity, and I hope that someday I can be giving and selfless like her. I try to live by my middle name in every area of my life. I believe we can choose joy in our life.
2)Speaking of my grandma, I love my grandparents a lot. I love hearing their words. They have such interesting stories, and it makes me sad that they could die with them. I cherish the time I get to spend with them, because I'm lucky to have them in my life and I don't know how long they'll be here.


3) I like to eat mangoes with lime and chili powder. It is basically the best way to eat them.
4) I dress for comfort not style. It's actually kind of nice because if I put any effort whatsoever into an outfit, I get instant recognition. Looking really good is on of the few things for which I don't hold myself to a high standard. Occasionally, if I bother with it, I can maybe pull off looking good.

This is a day that I actually bothered versus basically every other normal day of my life. Every other day of my life I am a jeans, tshirt, hoodie, moccasin, and (if I can swing it) bandanna kinda gal. Check my swag.
5) I'm not actually a huge fan of chocolate, but I like it in certain forms, mainly brownies and hot cocoa.
6) I love things about every season, but my favorite are summer and fall. Summer for the memories and fall for the actual things of the season, like colorful leaves and the scent of the cold brisk air.
7) I really like to take pictures, quite a lot. I feel like if I really tried I could go somewhere with it one day, but I really just want to cultivate it as a skill so I can take picture of my kids someday. I can't wait.

8) I have wanted to go to BYU since I was in the fourth grade. I really hope I get to be a cougar next year!

9) I love to cook. I am really good at it too. I can follow a recipe or make up my own. That's part of the reason why I love pinterest. I can always find awesome recipes. When I'm a mom, I will always have homemade bread in the house. I want to learn how to make lots of things from scratch because I believe it always tastes better that way. I love food a lot.
10) I am ballin'. hahaha Really though, I love to play basketball. I may not be fabulous, but I've probably got a lot more game than you would thing just by looking at me. I love to play for fun though, I'm not actually competitive. One of my favorite parts of church basketball is playing with new girls and watching them grow.
11) I'm actually really good at a lot of things, but I'll rarely admit it because I can't stand when people are cocky or overconfident. Here are a few things that I'm good at, not saying that I'm the best in the world, but whatever...
12) I'm a pretty good singer, and that makes me feel great. This year I got ranked 3rd Alto 1 in the state of Virgina out of all the Seniors who auditioned for honors choir. That was a cool moment, but it's nothing compared to the little joys I find when I sing. For example, today in english we sang happy birthday to Sean Buchanan and at the end I did just the smallest most simple descant, but afterwards Michael turned to me with the most awed expression and said I sounded like an angel. It was the smallest comment, but it totally made my day. Honestly, I just enjoy singing. Music is so powerful and singing is such a source of joy. Like today when I took my sister to get her cello we sat in the car and totally jammed. It was such a great moment to share together. As an aside, if you need an awesome song to jam out to, try this one which we used today:


13)I am also pretty good at writing in different fonts. It may sound like a lame talent, but I really like it. It's like my own form of art. Some people love the sound of their own voice, I love the look of my writing on a page.
14) I know I already did a fact about photography, but I didn't tell you that I'm pretty good at it. I mean, I am not anything fabulous, but I do enjoy looking at a moment frozen in time and thinking "I captured that." I have a pretty good eye for it too. After my uncle's wedding, when we printed the photo's I took at CVS this gave my mom a release form to sign saying that she had permission to print professionally taken photos so they wouldn't be liable. She said they were suprised when she said, "My daughter took these..." Here are a few pictures I've taken, they may not be incredible, but they are noteworthy in my book... (actually I wrote that and realized I am on my mom's laptop, so umm... here are some semi good ones from facebook and some otherday I'll post some of my really noteworthy photos...)




...someday I'll have to post some of my really good ones, but I like those a lot, for different reasons, even though some of them don't actually illustrate my photography skills.
15) I am a fan-freaking-tastic cook. For example, as I type this I am making a roast beef (like real roast beef, not strips from the deli) with homemade mashed garlic potatoes. I do this all by myself. Check my swag. Ask me and someday we can hangout while I cook you food. I love to cook for people. It brings me joy. (: ...so does baking.
16) I really really really love fresh fruits and veggietables. I especially love veggies, but some with qualifiers. For example, I only like collard greens when my mom makes them and I will eat tomatoes in general, but I don't really like them unless they're from a farm or nearby garden. Corporate tomatoes taste different and I don't like it.
17) I think having a celebrity crush is weird. I mean, they are cute and all, but I know plenty of cute guys in real life too. I think girls just immortalize them, and then overlook all the great guys around them. I try not to judge, but some girls fan majorly hard over people and it getscreepy how much they know about them... just saying.
18) I have a natural tendency to love people and overlook their faults. Even if I really don't like someone I'll try to give them the benefit of the doubt or I can at least find about them that I like.
19) The only thing I believe in more than goal setting is goal getting. The other day a guy in church said that out smallest goals can become our greastest triumphs. Life is about making the most of it. You;re life is up to you and only you. So hop to it.
20) I am a complete sucker for lame/cheesy movies, especially Christmas movies or chick flicks. I can usually guess the end within the first 10 minutes, but I still watch them. Go ahead and judge me.
21) I like to joke around a lot. I'll banter with you back and forth. I can take a joke, and I sure can deal them out. However, the moment I can't tell if you're kidding, all bets are off, I'm done.
23) I am in a constant state of awe at the beauty of the world. Even the most regular things like a blue sky or fall leaves take my breathe away. God gave us such a beautiful world!
This photo is of a regular blue sky taken through the sun roof of a car I was in...
This was one of the many breathtaking sights in Utah.
This was one of the gorgeous Oregon sunsets I experience.
If you see the white spot in the ocean (down and to the left of the sun) it is actually a whale blowing water.
Isn't the world wonderful?
24) While I am a very open person, I have secrets just like anyone else.
25) I believe in scars and dysfunctional familys.
26)If you think I have a crush on you, you're wrong. (this does not apply to approximately .000003% of people in the United States and that including every boy I've even kinda liked since the beginning of the school year, not even necessarily now...) People tend to mistake me being nice to a boy for me liking them. Guys (and girls who like to start rumors), can I be honest? Just because I don't have/haven't ever had a boyfriend, because I'm not the prettiest or skinniest, and because I talk to lots of guys does not mean that I am totally desperate and in love with every guy that I talk to... because we all know girls like that, but I am not one. To be frank, I am female, so I can have pretty crazy days, but I think most guys I know would agree that I'm pretty chill compared to most girls (at least on the outside). Let's not mess that up. Just because I smile at you or ask how you're day is going doesn't mean I have a crush on you in the slightest, I just try to be nice. So stop acting like a girl and chill, let's be friends. (:
27) I am astounded at all the blessings I enjoy. I am so grateful for almost everything in my life (and I'm working to be grateful for everything). I am so blessed. I love my life regardless of my trials.
28) I cry a lot more than I should, but sometimes it's all I need to get back on my feet and walk forward with my head held high. Sometimes I feel down, but when it comes down to it, I won''t let anyone stop me.
29) There are things that I don't like about myself like, my weird eyebrows, my weight, that I can be super irritating, or that I can get easily irritated, but I still know that I am important and beautiful in my own way, just like everyone else. Yes, I have pretty eyes, a decent smile, and silky hair, but more importantly I can make people smile and laugh (regarldess of how lame my jokes are), I care about everyone even people that I don't really like, and I know who I am and where I want to go.
30) I'm a thug. Accept it.

THE END!

No comments:

Post a Comment